Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Art Journaling



So what’s all the fuss about?

Art journaling is a form of creative expression, exploration and experimentation. It can be done in a bound journal, on single sheets of paper, an old cardboard box even a canvas. It’s the art form that is more about the journey than the destination. It’s about letting go and having fun with your art.

"Art journaling is about the creative process of pulling together colour, words and images as you wish on a page. Unlike many other forms of art, it is not about the outcome." ~ Tammy Garcia

Your journal page can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be, there are no rules or limitations. It can be bold and bright, soft and pastel, monochrome even black and white. It can be flat or super textured, use two mediums or twenty.

It’s a great place to see how mediums react with each other and on different surfaces or how colours work together. It can contain journaling and images or not.

I often get asked how I know when my page is finished. When do you know when to stop? There are no rules here, no magic formula. It’s ready when I no longer have the desire to either add or subtract from my page. When I can look at it and not think I wonder if I … do I need to add a quote, a word, drip some ink, and stamp an image add some black, white or a colour?

There is a perception that you need tons of stuff to art journal … not true!

So what do you need?

A journal or paper with a gsm above 110 is recommended.

Black, white and clear gesso, a gel medium maybe a texture paste and some clear gesso are a must.  A good quality glue stick, a wet fast drying glue and foam tape are recommended.

You will need a selection of products to create colour such as paint and ink, sprays, a selection of brushes, spatulas and sponges.  A stencil or two, a couple of background stamps, and some found item ephemera will get you started.

Some found items such as tissue paper, magazine cut outs, teabags, gauze, washi tapes, ribbon, fibers, maps, tickets, brochures, receipts, patterned papers and fabric just to name a few are great to have on hand.


Organize your creative space  
Most of us have a limited creative space and storage area so organization is the key. When journaling you need supplies at hand so you don’t have to break your creative flow to get up and get supplies. If you’re like me and “create on the run” you have no clear plan where you are going when you start a page then this is challenging. I have “pick trays” or baskets that I collect some supplies in – e.g. stamps, stencils, and embellishments. Remember you only need a few of each not your entire collection on hand. My mediums and paints, pens and inks are stored in baskets or drawers either on or beside my desk on bookshelves as are my brushes and basic tools.
You need a relatively small amount of space to work, make sure you have a cutting mat and a heat resistant craft sheet on your desk. I also keep a roll of grease proof paper on hand and tear sheets off to protect my workspace
Grab your journal and just get started
Most of my pages begin because I want to see how something works; how long it takes to dry, is it water fast, how does it take colour or what its texture is like, does it do what they say it will.  I might have a great quote or a picture I want to use, I’ve just seen a new technique I want to try or I’m just feeling creative and want to play.
One important tip is to prep your pages; I usually have two or three journals on the go so while I’m waiting for layers to dry I often prep another journal. It’s always a great idea to prep your pages with Gesso prior to starting; this primes your pages and prevents leakage onto your completed work.
Once you’ve been journaling for a while you let go, the messier the better, it’s about drawing and gluing stuff on, pages that stick together, weird colour combinations, adding more layers until it’s right but mostly it’s a space to create whatever you feel, it’s where you work out how everything reacts with each other challenge your assumptions but mostly where you learn about yourself.





So just relax and enjoy the journey
cheers H 


No comments: